Thursday, May 19, 2011

There's an App for That

There used to be a time where I was lost without my pocket calendar. It had all of my appointments, due dates, class times, and work schedules on it. I even penciled my friends in.

As I sit here on my smart phone, blogging, I realize how far we have come.  I can now sync my Gmail calendar with my Mac calendar, which syncs with my phone calendar.  Along with my address book and contact list.

Gone are the days of reading paper books.  Oh yea, there's an app for that.
Gone are the days of cookbooks and recipe holders.  There's an app for that.
Gone are the days of GPS and archaic are the days of reading a map. There's an app for that.
Gone are the days of listening to your local radio stations. There's an App for that.
Gone are the days of reading a newspaper. There's an app for that.
Gone are the days of writing checks to pay your bills. There's an app for that.

Not only can you do all of these things on your computer, you can do these things anytime of the day, where ever you are...as long as you have cell service.

I am not a huge fan of many of these apps.  Certainly they are all handy, but they also signify the disappearance of a simpler way of life.  A way of life where kids didn't have video games to keep them occupied.  A way of life where you had to use your imagination, whether it was using Lincoln Logs, Legos, or playing house.  There's an app for that now, or a video game.

As I head to work tomorrow, I will see most of my kids playing with their laptops, Ipads, Ipods, smart phones, Wii, Xbox, and PS.  And I am glad that they are finding ways to divert themselves during their lengthy hospitalization, but I won't be able to join in, as they are, for the most part, one player games.  But when I walk into a room, and a kid is playing with legos, playing house, or even just coloring with regular, old-fashioned crayons, I can't help but join in, if only for a few minutes, and interact with them and hear about what they are making or imagining themselves to be doing.  It takes me back to my childhood, when I didn't have bills to pay or responsibilities at work.

It takes me back to a simpler way of life...and There's No App for That

No comments:

Post a Comment